Saturday 25 May 2013

Mars Bar Rice Krispies Squares

mars bar

This afternoon I felt the need for a real chocolate binge. Although I craved something sweet, with the sun in the sky, it did not feel like the time for baking in a kitchen with a hot oven. I thought this simple, but scrummy recipe would do the trick. I was introduced to these by my cousin Elizabeth, and although mine turned out pretty delicious, she really is the expert!

As I'm starting with some healthy eating and exercise to shift my pregnancy weight next week, I may have to find some healthy baking recipes. (Booooooo!) Or I may just have to have a little naughty treat every once in  a while.

The only problem is that once I have had one, I end up eating lots. I can't see them lasting long in our house. I like to cut them into small squares, so they are in bite size pieces. They are perfect with a nice cuppa.

These would be a great little summer time treat - perfect for kids to make during the school holidays.

Ingredients

3 Mars Bars
75g butter (I used olive oil spread and didn't notice any difference)
75g rice krispies
175g chocolate ( I used Dairy Milk) 

1. Melt Mars Bars and butter in a saucepan
2. Pour in Rice Krispies, and stir until fully combined with melted Mars Bars and butter.
3. Press into a tin with a cold spoon.
4. Melt the chocolate.
5. Pour onto Rice Krispies mixture, and smooth over with palette knife.
6. Leave in fridge to cool for at least an hour to set. (Okay so mine didn't make it until an hour before I had some. They were lovely and gooey though!)

mars bar rice krispies squares


4 comments:

  1. These sound delicious!
    There is a (fairly) healthy flapjack recipe here:
    http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/low-sugar-low-fat-flapjacks
    I made these last night omitting the nuts and replacing the apricots with apple and they are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Ooooh I will definitely be giving those a try. Need to stop eating as much junk!

      Delete
  2. My mouth is watering just remembering eating these marvels you made. I will be printing off this recipe immediately and making a batch. Maybe a small one tho as I have a strong feeling I will polish off the lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they are just a bit too tempting. My mum made some at the weekend so I was a little piggy and ate lots. I will have to go Neil's boot camp!

      Delete